Yearly Archives: 2013

Frogs ‘n Triangles

When I received Julie Herman’s book, Skip the Borders in the mail.  I saw the back cover of the book with a small picture of her Floating Triangles quilt pattern.  Immediately, I knew that I had to make this quilt first.  Luckily, the dimensions were perfect for a baby quilt – 39″ square.  With seven baby quilts in the pipeline, the pattern was a perfect fit.  In just a week (well 2 actual days of sewing), I dove into my stash of greens and created this fun quilt.  I loved Angela Walters quilting that was shown in Julie’s book, so I also echoed the square that is offset in the pattern.  I went a bit overboard on cutting extra squares, so this quilt will have a twin soon!  I even have extra frog fabric for the back – aren’t they fun?

Here are my link ups this week:

The Quilting Progress

It is funny how we typically lump all elements of the design, cutting, piecing, quilting, and binding into the term quilting.  Rather, the quilting — the sewing of the top, batting, and back — is truly quilting.  Focused on the actual meaning of the term, this weekend was truly dedicated to free-motion quilting.

Last August, I started a Car Mat Quilt for Jimmy.  It contained some very dense quilting.  I pebbled the roads and textured the grass with the quilting.  It was taking hours — well, more like dozens of hours.  I eventually took a quilting break from the project and pulled it out again this weekend to wrap it up.  It is now awaiting binding.

Also this weekend, I completed the Floating Triangles quilt (Jaybird Quilts Pattern from Skip the Borders) with binding too!  More to come tomorrow with detailed pictures…

Besides quilting two quilts, the best quilt news this weekend was the discovery of another 1/2 yard of Moda’s Bella Black fabric in my stash.  The squares are cut for the next Floating Triangle Quilt.  My fabric usage this year is up to 7.5 yards of fabric with no new 2013 purchases.  Linking up with Judy of Patchwork Times.

 

New Quilt for a New Year

It is a new year, so why not start a new quilt!  I do have plans on finishing my old works in progresses, but I think that they have graduated to that UFO state.  I notice that there are a lot of resolutions out there to finish quilts, but I will get there — one day!  In the meantime, I have a number of baby quilts to start and finish.  Here is a a great start to the new year.

On Sunday, I worked on a Floating Triangles quilt.  The pattern is by Julie Herman of Jaybird Quilts Blog in her book, Skip the Borders.  All in one day, I cut into my stash of greens, chain pieced, assembled, and basted.  It could have easily been a quilt in a day if my bedtime wasn’t so early!  I even had an extra helper — Jimmy.  In the picture, you can see that he is having a blast with the scraps.  I also cut extra squares until I ran out of black fabric.  When I finally order more, there may be a twin of this quilt soon.  I will hopefully be able to share this completed quilt, resulting in the first finish of 2013.

Lee from Freshly Pieced Blog is hosting the Work-In-Progress Wednesday Link-Up.  Check out what other projects are brewing for 2013!

12 in 2012 – A Year of Quilting

When I was marching through 2012, there were months when I didn’t even turn on the sewing machine.  As I was going through pictures, I realized that I was able to manage to sew more than I realized.  In addition, all of the quilts that I worked on in 2012 were also kicked-off in 2012.  2013 may be a different story as it will be a year of finishing some unfinished projects.  In the end, I completed 3 large quilts, 7 baby quilts, and 2 table runners.  12 projects in 12 months for 2012!  I’ll aim for 13 in 2013!

The Final 2012 Quilt – Pickle Dish

Although we are already 2 weeks into 2013, here is my final quilt for 2012 — the Batik Pickle Dish.  I finishing the binding on New Year’s Eve.  This quilt will be shipped off this week for a wedding gift.  They are both Notre Dame grads, so to add a personal touch, I have blue and gold (well, closest gold-ish color of Kona Cotton I could match).

The pickle dish is probably the most labor intensive quilt pattern I have attempted.  Each curve was paper pieced, trimmed, attached to some curve pieces, and sewn together to make the quilt top.  In addition, I tried out some new free motion quilting.  Altogether, it was my main project for seven months.  With this project completed, I will be kicking off more projects with 6 baby quilts for babies born in the Fall.

Here are my link ups this week: